I am expecting my first baby, due sometime in the next month. I plan on using a combination of disposable diapers, cloth diaper, and EC (Elimination Communication). One project that I did recently was to make a diaper change mat that I can use anywhere to change my child. I can put it on the table, my bed or take it with me to the park. Here are some directions on how I made it so you can make it yourself.
What you need
Vinyl or plastic table cloth material
Soft material: cotton, flanel, whatever you want to lay your baby on
scissors, measuring tape, pins, sewing machine, thread
I bought my material from the discount end of the role bin to save a bit of money.
My change mat turned out to be 28″ x 37″ due to the amount of material that I had, you can make it smaller or larger depending on what size you want your change mat. Decide what size of change mat you want and then add an extra inch on each side for seam allowance. Ex. I cut 29″ x 38″ rectangles to end up with a 28″ x 37″ change pad.
1) Cut your plastic table cloth material, soft material, and batting to the same desired size rectangle.
2) Line up the table cloth and soft materials together with right sides facing.
3) Line up batting on top of soft material and pin around edge in place.
4) Sew around both long edges and one shot edge leaving one of the short edges open.
5) Turn inside out so that batting is in between soft material and table cloth material and right sides are out.
6) Decide if you want to role your mat straight up or fold it in half and then role it. I folded mine in half and then rolled it so it was more compact.
7) At the open end mark where you want your elastics to be. Fold seam inwards (about a 1/2″) pining your looped elastics in place. Mine ended up being 3″ and 11″ from the left edge when the open end was facing me and table cloth material was facing up.
8) Sew along edge.
9) Roll your mat up to see where the elastics line up on the table cloth material. Mark these spots and hand sew on your buttons onto the table cloth material side. Mine ended up being 3″ and 11″ from the left edge and 10.5″ from the bottom when the open end was facing me and table cloth material was facing up.
10) Cut all lose threads and there you go!